Thursday, March 24, 2011

Memorable Ads How-To

While watching television recently, a Hershey's Drops commercial got me thinking. Something about the commercial instantly reminded me of the classic Hershey's Kisses Christmas commercial. Three thoughts rapidly invaded my mind...

  1. Branding success: The Drops commercial immediately reminded me of the Kisses Christmas commercial, and both fall under the same Hershey's name.

  2. Stickiness: Simply put, the ad stuck. Within minutes I logged onto the internet and began writing. Five minutes later when pulling up the ad's YouTube link, I realized the song playing in the commercial was still resonating through my head. GENIUS.

  3. The classics: Naturally, the Hershey's Kisses Christmas commercial led to an unstoppable succession of classic commercials running through my head.

QUICK! Think of three classic commercials. What three came to mind? My most memorable classic ads are as follows:





So what makes an ad memorable, and what made these three instant contenders in my mind? I think the same three criteria apply.


1) Apply to the brand. 2) Find a way to stick. 3) Play on emotional appeal to make an instant classic.


Although easier said than done, these three things will boost your advertisements as memorable to consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment