Monday, March 14, 2011

Pandora's ADvantage

I am an avid Pandora listener. What a clever idea to create radio stations segmented to a user's personal tastes based on a genre, artist, or specific song.

Pandora clearly knows what they're doing. Although, a month ago I apparently listened too much, as the website only lets listeners utilize the site for 40 free hours per month (seriously, what's that about??). So I was forced to resort to Yahoo!Music.

I realized how annoying ads are when using online radio stations. Yahoo plays 3-5 ads in a row between songs and you're only allowed to skip songs about 6 times over the course of a few hours. However, Pandora allows listeners to "like" or "dislike" a song in order to better gauge user tastes, and users are also allowed to tell Pandora "I'm tired of this song" and the station puts the song on the shelf for a while. Their interruptings ads are only about 15-30 seconds, and I have a theory Pandora uses an algorithm to segment ads to users based on the type of genre, artist or song chosen.

Pandora's main ADvantage? The rich media sidebar ads are engaging and fun. Whether it's movie trailers or advertisements for social media, websites or products, the interaction is irresistable. And speaking for myself here, I actually want to play them [during work... guilty!]

Check it.

No comments:

Post a Comment