Monday, August 22, 2011

The Great Google Debate

I've recently come across a very interesting topic by a local blogger: Is there a problem with Google? The blog addresses many questions brought to light about Google as a monopoly. As I began to research the topic further, I even caught myself GOOGLING about Google. It got me thinking, really, IS there a problem with Google?

I further checked out the website, FairSearch.org, which points out a number of questionable practices by Google. A few of these include:
  • Acquiring of competitive threats--Googlopoly, anyone?
  • Deceptive display--Is the search engine showing the most accurate results possible, or is it promoting it's own products instead? (i.e. Google Maps, Places, etc.)
  • Unfair treatment of advertisers--Is this powerhouse giving favoritism to it's biggest customers, it's major advertisers, and leaving small mom-and-pop-shops in the dust?
Check out what Google is even saying about itself, in it's own words!! With Google controlling a whopping 70% of the US search market, is this a problem?

As this topic is further brought to the public, I'm intrigued to hear others' opinions and learn the future outcome of this debate.

So... What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment